Oh dear!

Ok, I’ve let it slide. BUT – I’m back 😀 and I will update it with everything that has happened and everything that is happening.

First off, how I got on with the list I wrote on my last post.

  • Find a self storage place and reserve a spot for next weekend

After much googling and price comparing and quoting, we went with Big Yellow. They had a 50% off the first 8 weeks, so were the cheapest and also one of the closest, meaning I didn’t have to go across town every time I needed to take something in – and I had to go multiple times, as I only have a fiat panda! We crossed our fingers that we wouldn’t need it beyond the 8 weeks and we didn’t (but more on that on following posts, ha!).

What you need to know: when looking for storage, you will most likely need to pay a deposit, insurance and buy a padlock on top of the quoted price. We paid one week’s deposit – not sure that varies according to your storage place, but I would check. I had a quick search for padlocks before going and found that most DIY stores sell similar quality items for similar prices to Big Yellow, so I saved myself a trip to the shops and bought their one. If you have one at home, great, no need to spend money on that! We got the deposit and a couple of days worth of storage refunded when we moved out.

  • Find a window/glass person to replace the smashed pane in the kitchen

Husband arranged that one. It was reasonably pricey and a bit messy but quick. It is great having a decent looking window again.

  • Try to fix my conservatory blinds

Now, this is a funny one. A couple of months ago, we went to a local blinds and curtains shop and asked if they could fix our roof blind. The cat had climbed on it and something had snapped, so it was bulging down – not sure how else to describe it, but it looked like a hammock hanging from the ceiling rather than flat? Anyway, we paid £30 for the privilege of a visit to see what they could do. On the arranged day, two youngsters came in, had a look and nope, can’t fix it. So I asked if they could quote me for a new one. They measured for it but we never got a quote, and husband – who had arranged the whole thing – never chased it up. We decided we were just going to remove it for when we had viewings etc. But not before I had a look myself. It took me 20 minutes and a tapestry needle to fix it myself and it’s now back up and working just fine.

  • Test sugar soap on the white walls to see if we can get away with not painting them

Sugar soap has been the biggest revelation of this whole thing. It’s amazing! Though trial and error I found that fabric dust sheets (or, I suppose, just normal floor cloths) are much better than plastic one – my sore bottom would agree, just don’t do it! – and that the ready made stuff is more practical than the concentrated one that you need to dilute in a bucket. All my walls looked brilliant after being washed and I saved loads of painting.

Top tip for smaller spaces: obviously, if you’re doing a big area, it will be better to have buckets. But for smaller walls, I would recommend a spray ready made bottle of sugar soap, a spray bottle of water to wash it off and two good quality sponges. I started off with normal (brand new!) kitchen ones and after one wall they were good for the bin. I ended up buying decorator’s foam ones from B&Q and they are a bit expensive compared to the kitchen ones but they are worth it.

Everything that needed doing was done, at the expense of not having much time to write by the end of the day – it was exhausting, but very much worth it. If you have a look on my Instagram, you will see a few bits and pieces from the bedrooms, lounge and garden. I was so pleased when I finished that I nearly changed my mind about moving… 😀

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.